Dear CJFE members and supporters,
As the year comes to a close, we can’t help but reflect on what have undoubtedly been the busiest 12 months yet for CJFE. What exactly have we been up to? Check out our interactive timeline for highlights of our major activities in 2014. Of course, our biggest event was the 17th annual CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Courageous Reporting, held on December 3. It was an amazing night for free expression, full of inspiring people, videos, and stories. To collect all of the memories, we’ve put together a full recap of the evening, featuring a photo gallery of the night, the acceptance speeches from each of our award winners, a letter from Mohamed Fahmy, and more.
What we were working on in December (other than the Gala!):
- Good news! This month the Ontario government reintroduced its Protection of Public Participation Act, aimed at preventing SLAPPs.
- Why anti-SLAPP legislation is necessary: When corporations use legal action to intimidate those who speak out against them, it silences free expression.
- Afghanistan: To coincide with honouring Kathy Gannon and Anja Niedringhaus, we examined the slew of challenges that journalists in Afghanistan face in their reporting.
- EuroMaidan: A year since the protests in Ukraine began, journalists and media workers in the country continue to face serious challenges and threats.
- Honouring Bob Carty: To recognize one of Canada’s most tireless defenders of free expression, CJFE announced The Bob Carty Free Expression Fellowship.
What’s coming up:
- December 29: One-year anniversary of the arrests of Al Jazeera English journalists Mohamed Fahmy, Peter Greste, and Baher Mohamed.
- January 1: Fahmy and his colleagues begin their legal appeal.
- January 15: Executive Director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, Joel Simon, will be speaking in Toronto about the global fight for press freedom.
- January 15-18: Executive Director of CJFE, Tom Henheffer, will be speaking at the Canadian University Press (CUP) Conference at the Ottawa Convention Centre.
- Scotiabank / CJFE Journalism Fellowship at Massey College: Applications for this opportunity will open in January.
This is the last you’ll be hearing from us in 2014, which also means that time is running out to make a donation to CJFE before the end of the year! We invite you to show your support for our accomplishments this year, and help us continue this important work in 2015. Make a donation.
Please take note that the CJFE office will be closing on December 19 and reopening on January 5. Everyone here at CJFE wishes you and your families a wonderful holiday and a happy new year. We look forward to a great 2015 with you all!