For inclusion on the list, the individual’s death must be meet one or more of the following specifications:
- The individual was reporting at the time of their death
- The individual’s death can be reliably linked to a history of threats in retribution for their reporting
- The individual is a foreign correspondent on assignment in another country and was in the situation which led to their death because of their work.
- The individual was targeted for their profession.
- The individual died while in detention for their reporting
- The individual died in captivity after being kidnapped for their reporting