Why should you become a member of CJFE?
With every journalistic triumph comes another obstacle – whether covering conflict far away or navigating the nuances of a story in our own neighbourhood. When another wall goes up, CJFE is there to help journalists leap over it. We donate money to help journalists in distress survive, fight court cases to help keep them working freely, track the digital domain, champion whistleblowers and celebrate those who put so much at risk in pursuit of truth and accountability. It is exhilarating and humbling to be part of CJFE and help support journalists across Canada and around the world. – Anna Maria Tremonti, Host, CBC Radio’s The Current and CJFE Board member.
As a non-profit organization, CJFE is entirely dependent on support from its members, donors, sponsors, and people like you. Please consider becoming a member to help support our programs and advocacy work, including:
- • Campaigning to free unjustly detained journalists, such as Al Jazeera English journalist Mohamed Fahmy and his colleagues in Egypt.
- • Policy work in Canada, such as our successful defeat of Bill C-461 and our continued fight for anti-SLAPP legislation.
- • Our annual Review of Free Expression in Canada, and maintaining CJFE's website, the go-to resource for free expression issues in Canada.
- • Our Journalists in Distress Fund, which provides humanitarian assistance to journalists whose lives and well being are threatened because of their profession.
"Without freedom of expression, there is silence or lies, and I don't know which is worse. Free expression is the absolute mechanism by which we are free in the holistic sense." —Linden MacIntyre, author and former co-host of CBC's The Fifth Estate
CJFE membership includes:
- • Becoming an integral part of our constant fight to defend free expression rights and press freedom in Canada and abroad
- • The right to attend and vote at CJFE's Annual General Meeting (AGM), where Board members are elected and important decisions are made about campaigns, policy and CJFE's strategic direction
- • Free access to our post-AGM event. Last year's event focused on the muzzling of scientists in Canada, and this year's panel focused on government surveillance.
- • Access to the CJFE newsletter
- • Earlybird access to tickets for CJFE's annual Gala
- • First access to copies of our annual Review of Free Expression in Canada
Have more questions? See our FAQ.
- • Standard: $100
- • Recent Graduate 50% discount!: $50
- • Student 75% discount!: $25
BECOME A MEMBER:
If you would like to make a donation instead, click here.
* Please note, we cannot issue tax receipts for membership as Canadian law prohibits using funds donated through a charity for advocacy work, which is an inherent part of the fight for free expression.