Monday, June 22, 2015
Bill C-51 received royal assent and passed in to law, but CJFE continues to fight against this dangerous and reckless legislation. Bill C-51’s sweeping measures and tactics compromise the privacy and free expression rights that are valued by Canadians and critical to a healthy democracy. CJFE supports OpenMedia’s ongoing campaign to #KillC51 and joins the call to express our concerns to the Conservative Party about the threats this bill poses to our rights. CJFE calls on our supporters and all defenders of free expression to participate in the #KillC51 social media rebellion telling the Conservative Party that Bill C-51 needs to be completely repealed. This piece by Connie Fournier was originally published on iPolitics.
It’s time for a social media rebellion, including Conservative voters, to #KillC51! The government’s unpopular Bill C-51 has finally become law, following a recent tight vote in the Senate. The vote, at 44 to 28, was closer than expected—almost all the opponents of the Bill showed up to vote against, but 15 of the 59 sitting conservative Senators were absent. Now that this dangerous legislation has become law, our most basic rights risk being undermined by powerful and unaccountable government officials. The task ahead of all Canadians, including principled conservatives, is clear—we must pressure party leaders to get this Bill repealed. Words can’t express how frustrated many conservatives are feeling at how Prime Minister Stephen Harper has ignored Canadians. That’s why I’m calling for a social media rebellion—let’s get all Canadians, including Conservative voters, to tell the Conservative Party that we need to get this reckless legislation completely repealed. Here’s what you can do with just a few seconds of your time:
- 1. Visit the Conservative Party Facebook page and post a comment calling on them to Kill Bill C-51. Here are some great example messages to get you started—but please feel free to make your own:
- • The Conservative party has become unaccountable and disconnected from Canadian values. Your support for Bill C-51 undermines our privacy and proves that you don't have the right priorities for Canada. I’m calling on the Conservatives to repeal reckless Bill C-51 at KillC51.ca.
- • The Conservative party has betrayed Canadian values by pushing through Bill C-51. Why are you ignoring a large majority of Canadians? Even Canadian businesses have told you scrap this bill.
- • There’s nothing conservative about a powerful government spy bureaucracy prying into our private business and undermining our rights. I won’t consider voting Conservative until you commit to completely repeal Bill C-51. I’m joining with over 275,000 Canada to urge the Conservative party to repeal this reckless Bill at KillC51.ca.
- • It’s ridiculous how Bill C-51 wastes taxpayer dollars on a government spy bureaucracy empowered to censor what Canadians post online. Generations of Canadians have fought and died for our right to live free of government censorship, and we need to get Bill C-51 repealed. It’s no wonder Conservative voters are speaking out. Look at how many Conservative groups have signed onto the letter.
- 2. Tweet at these prominent Conservatives using #RejectFear and #KillC51:
Connie Fournier is co-founder of popular principled conservative website Free Dominion.
Do you like this post?