With every journalistic triumph comes another obstacle – whether covering conflict far away or navigating the nuances of a story in our own neighbourhood. When another wall goes up, CJFE is there to help journalists leap over it. We donate money to help journalists in distress survive, fight court cases to help keep them working freely, track the digital domain, champion whistleblowers and celebrate those who put so much at risk in pursuit of truth and accountability. It is exhilarating and humbling to be part of CJFE and help support journalists across Canada and around the world. – Anna Maria Tremonti, host of CBC Radio’s The Current and CJFE Board member.
As a non-profit organization, CJFE is entirely dependent on support from members, donors, sponsors and supporters of free expression like you. Becoming a member helps support our programs and advocacy work, including:
- • Policy work in Canada, such as our successful defeat of Bill C-461 and our continued fight against Bill C-51.
- • Maintaining the Snowden Archive, a fully searchable collection of all leaked surveillance documents.
- • International campaigning to free unjustly detained journalists, such as Al Jazeera English journalist Mohamed Fahmy and his colleagues in Egypt.
- • Funding programs, including our Journalists in Distress Fund, which provides humanitarian assistance to journalists whose lives and well being are threatened because of their profession.
"Without freedom of expression, there is silence or lies, and I don't know which is worse. Free expression is the absolute mechanism by which we are free in the holistic sense." —Linden MacIntyre, author and former co-host of CBC's The Fifth Estate
CJFE membership includes:
- • Becoming an integral part of our constant fight to defend free expression rights in Canada and abroad
- • The right to have your voice heard in important decisions about CJFE's campaigns, policies and strategic directions at CJFE's Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- • Free access to various CJFE events, including the post-AGM panels and debates such as the 2015 debate on hate speech laws in Canada.
- • Access to the CJFE newsletter
- • Earlybird access to tickets for CJFE's annual Gala
- • First access to the annual Review of Free Expression in Canada
- • Standard: $100
- • Student or fixed income: $25
BECOME A MEMBER:
If you would like to make a donation to CJFE, please click here.
* Please note, we cannot issue tax receipts for membership as Canadian law prohibits using funds donated through a charity for advocacy work, which is an inherent part of the fight for free expression.