CJFE Journalists in Distress Fund
CJFE's Journalists in Distress Fund provides humanitarian assistance to journalists around the world
whose lives and well-being are threatened because of their work.
What does the Journalists in Distress Fund provide financial support for?
- Legal fees when journalists are detained.
- Medical expenses when journalists are caught in the line of fire or traumatized by their coverage.
- Transportation costs to flee a dangerous situation.
- Financial support for the families of journalists who have been killed or imprisoned.
- Resettlement costs within first year of arriving in a final safe country.
The Journalists in Distress Fund will not support:
- Ongoing expenses that will not lead to the resolution of the journalist’s predicament.
- Ongoing expenses to organizations, institutions, or enterprises.
- Support for education, professional development, or public appearances.
- An applicant who is facing a problem that is unrelated to his/her work as a journalist (ex. the journalist has been diagnosed with cancer and needs medical attention).
- An applicant who has been found to be engaged in fraudulent activity