21st annual CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Courageous Reporting
Thursday, Nov. 29, 2018
The Concert Hall at
Fairmont Royal York, Toronto, ON
What you don't know CAN hurt you.
Freedom of expression continues to face serious threats around the world as well as in our own back yard. Never before have we had so many ways to communicate, nor have we been faced with more ways to be silenced and censored.
The CJFE Gala: A Night to Honour Courageous Reporting is Canada’s leading free expression event that raises essential funds to protect this fundamental human right. During the evening, we honour brave individuals from Canada and abroad who have risked their jobs, their freedom or even their lives to bring us the truth. The Gala also pays tribute to the countless journalists and media workers who have been killed, mostly with impunity, as a direct result of their work over the past year.
- Cocktail reception and dinner
- Award presentations
- Memorial for journalists killed in 2018
- Video presentations on press freedom
- Special guest appearances
Proceeds from the Gala directly support CJFE’s critical work.
- The Journalists in Distress Fund, which provides emergency assistance for journalists whose lives are threatened due to their work.
- Advocating for stronger free expression rights and policies in Canada and abroad.
- Leading international campaigns to free unjustly detained journalists and free expression advocates around the world.
- Monitoring the evolving state of free expression at home through our annual Review of Free Expression in Canada