Friday, August 9, 2013
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE) is seeking applications for the regular full-time position of IFEX Digital Development Coordinator. IFEX is a network of 88 member organisations worldwide that defend and promote the right to free expression (ifex.org
). The IFEX Secretariat is based in Toronto, where it is managed by IFEX member organisation CJFE (cjfe.org
). IFEX's new Digital Development Initiative aims to harness the best and most appropriate digital tools and tactics across the network to draw the world's attention and action to events that affect free expression while also supporting the network to address digital challenges.
The priority in this new role is to help build network (both IFEX members and the IFEX Secretariat) capacity in digital communication, security and rights. This is primarily a project management role with the need for familiarity and experience with digital tools and issues, and will involve identifying strategic opportunities and providing support, in the form of IFEX grants, IFEX-led or coordinated training opportunities and the development or identification of how-to resources.
Main duties and responsibilities of the Digital Development Coordinator:
• Identify strategic opportunities and provide support for IFEX members and IFEX to develop digital capacity.
• Coordinate all aspects of digital projects implementation including:
- • reviewing and managing grant applications from members
- • planning and coordinating regional or cross-regional workshops and skills exchanges for IFEX members on topics such as:
- • Digital communications tools/innovations
- • Digital security
- • Digital rights/internet freedom
- • Creation and/or promotion and delivery of digital how-to resources including online guides, webinars and slide-shares
- • Managing project budgets, as well as project evaluation and reporting
•Foster strong relationships and working with trainers, consultants and other strategic partners
•Other duties as required
Experience, skills and qualifications:
• University degree in related field such as communications, political science, international relations, or equivalent qualifications;
• 1-3 years experience in project management;
• Experience in communications using a wide variety of digital tools and developing/implementing NGO communication strategies that incorporate digital approaches;
• Experience in organising and facilitating workshops and training events;
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Spanish an asset;
• Understanding and interest in human rights including freedom of expression;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a variety of contexts;
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills, strong attention to detail;
• Interest in digital security issues and how they can be addressed in small NGOs;
• Experience working internationally and/or with partners overseas an asset;
• Familiarity with digital rights issues an asset;
• Knowledge of organisational capacity-building an asset;
• Experience working with NGOs, networks and/or coalitions an asset;
• Must be eligible to work in Canada.
CJFE provides a competitive salary and benefits program and a rewarding work environment.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and a statement of interest that includes the following information:
• Why you are interested in working with IFEX
• Your background in helping organisations use digital tools to achieve their mission in an NGO context - in Canada and abroad
• Other information relevant to our assessment of your application
Send your application via email by August 30, 2013
to [email protected]
with "Hiring Committee: IFEX Digital Development Coordinator" in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.