CJFE is hiring! We're looking for a passionate and experienced Programs Assistant to manage the Journalists in Distress Fund and assist with CJFE's international advocacy work. This is a part-time position.
One of CJFE’s key programs is the Journalists in Distress (JID) Fund, which provides emergency assistance grants to journalists and media workers whose lives and well-being are threatened. CJFE also manages the JID Network of 18 international organizations.
Position: Programs Assistant
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small and dynamic team at Canada’s leading free expression advocacy organization, working with a board comprised of some of our country’s top journalists, lawyers and media professionals. Jobs at CJFE are rewarding, challenging and come with opportunities for learning and growth as a professional in the non-profit world.
The Programs and Administrative Assistant position is part-time, 15-25 hours per week on a flexible basis with some work-from-home availability, with the possibility of growing into a full-time position. Primary duties will include coordinating the JID Fund and Network, researching casework, writing letters of support and web content, and assisting with advocacy initiatives. The employee will report to the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinating casework for journalists applying for grants from the JID Fund
- Writing letters of support, including for immigration applicants from the JID Fund
- Administration of the JID Network
- Building and maintaining international and Global Affairs contacts
- Monitoring and identifying areas of concern for free expression issues internationally
- Assisting with CJFE’s international advocacy work
- Assisting with the Scotiabank/CJFE Journalism Fellowship
- Collaborating on CJFE’s program expansion
- Some web content writing, including letters of protest and joint statements
- Some social media posting
- Other duties as required
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma in international studies, communications, journalism or media studies, or other related field
- Experience with program or project management
- Experience coordinating casework
- Experience with research
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience with web content and social media strategies
- Entrepreneurialism, drive and teamwork
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Digital security knowledge an asset
- Interest in and awareness of current affairs, free expression, and privacy issues an asset
- Experience working with committees and boards an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
Meeting these requirements is important. However, passion, intelligence, a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn is what the job requires above all else. We are open to applications from strong candidates who possess these qualities even if they don’t meet all the requirements outlined above. CJFE is also dedicated to diversity and employment equity, and encourages applications from all candidates, including women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, members of sexual minority groups, and persons with disabilities.
Term: Part-time, 15-25 hours per week
Location: Toronto, ON
Salary: $15 per hour
Please submit your resume and cover letter on our Charity Village posting here.
Deadline to apply: Friday, January 6, 2017
We thank you for your interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews and start date will be as soon as possible following the application close date.